Thursday, February 5, 2015

The Incredible Hulk Review

UPDATE: Last night I finally got around to re-watching The Incredible Hulk, and some of my opinions on it changed, so some parts of the review are either edited or removed. I hope you understand that I really want to give people the best review possible, so sometimes I might edit a review a little bit after it's posted. Thank you for reading.

Yes, I know I didn't refer to the thing in Tony Stark's chest as an "Arc Reactor" in my past review. I forgot that was what it was called. Sorry.


The Incredible Hulk

This one of the few MCU movies I feel almost nothing about. It's not that bad, but it's not that good, either. This movie focuses on Bruce Banner trying to find a cure for the Hulk while also running from the government. So basically, every Hulk story ever made. I mean, it's executed okay, but the story doesn't offer anything really new. 

First off, the good stuff. I seem to be among five other people on Earth that thinks Edward Norton is better than Mark Ruffalo as Bruce Banner. People complain that Norton didn't do anything new with the character, and while I can understand that, he was still fantastic, as he definitely captured the tragedy of the character. Bruce Banner is also made a lot more realistic in this film. In particular, I really liked that he went out of his way to learn different languages and wear a watch that would tell him if his blood pressure was getting too high. It was also a smart move to have Bruce Banner's origin and why General Ross is hunting him down be explained in the intro, which is only a few minutes long. It gave the movie much more time to show what Bruce is gong through and why he does what he does.

Now for the bad stuff. The big problem I have with this movie is that it really doesn't do anything new with the Hulk. The execution is good, but the story itself doesn't have much depth to it. Betty, Bruce Banner's old girlfriend, just sort of shows up halfway through the movie because oh hey, that's an important character. The guy who becomes the Abomination at the end doesn't really do much other than fight the Hulk and... not succeed? What was the point to his character again?  And yes, the government is chasing after him, because we all know how much of a success story that is. Why, they're so good at hunting the Hulk, just watch as he shrugs off all of their missiles! That totally worked!

Overall, this movie is just okay. If you're bored one night and you want to watch the Hulk smash things, this is the movie for you. 

1 comment: